Beside our gorgeous Gaelyn stands a new friend who slid right into our family and left a permanent mark.
That beautiful woman is Tree. That’s what her friends call her, and so we do.
Tree is a teacher by profession, so on her summer break this year she came to spend 6 weeks at the Hotel with her relatives. But us Johnson’s got the best deal of all, I think.
As a talented teacher she connects with kids, and she has seemingly abundant energy and a burning desire to do activities with kids. We supplied the kids and she did the activities.
What I love about Tree is she is intentional to connect with each of us. Her and I had several impromptu chats that touched both our hearts, me thinks, and connected us. We could have shared for hours upon hours…I think we’ll just have to book a weekend to chat!!
So while Tree was here, she totally unschooled our kids 🙂
- taught the kids how to play Ultimate Frisbee,
- did the Ice Block Slide,
- marathoned thru Jane Austen movies
- introduced us to Murder Mysteries, two completely different ones.
- helped Gaelyn start a baking-cookies business,
- took kids shopping at 2nd-hand stores,
- did nighttime swims (or in the rain, and with a baby rattlesnake)
- taught the kids to dance and choreograph
- shared Pazookie with us multiple times
- taught Gaelyn to play guitar
- shared sunrises while she serenaded with her guitar
Last week we had a Farewell Party for her down at the terraza, led by her “Uncle Tommy” who manages Hotel Perico. He asked each of us to share what we loved most (or will miss the most) of his niece. And it was quite obvious that in those 6 weeks she was here, she touched many of our lives.
Her laughter, her sincerity, her exuberance in life. All so admirable. I know she will be sorely missed by all my kids.
I, of course, came to tears as I thanked her for her input into our children’s lives. She says we touched her life….but I think we received the greatest gift of her touching us.
Tree, it was such an honor to not only meet you this summer, but to have intersected here at this moment in all of our lives. Its not happenstance, it was meant to be.
We Love You.